GAP Pigs - PowerPoint presentation
The PowerPoint presentation covers pig welfare issues in detail. It can be used both for lecturing and for personal use. It is designed for use in lectures to accompany the film. It reinforces key points and includes questions to encourage thought and discussion of the issues.Download: Order Educational Resources | Size (0.34MB)
This presentation complements the film and is designed:
- To provide more detailed information about issues raised in the film
- To stimulate discussion in lectures, seminars and workshops
- For private study by students working alone
The PowerPoint presentation covers pig welfare issues in detail. It can be used both for lecturing and for personal use. It is designed for use in lectures to accompany the film. It reinforces key points and includes questions to encourage thought and discussion of the issues. However, it can also work as a stand-alone resource.
The presentation is divided into 10 sections, containing approximately 150 slides including many pictures and about 20 short video clips. This could be enough for several lectures, though an alternative is to show some of the sections and leave the rest for private study.
- Introduction - Natural behaviour and production systems
- Chapter 1 – Space and foraging needs for dry sows
- Chapter 2 – Avoiding aggression in dry sows
- Chapter 3 – Space and nesting needs of farrowing sows
- Chapter 4 – Avoiding teeth clipping in piglets
- Chapter 5 – Avoiding castration in male piglets
- Chapter 6 – Avoiding early weaning
- Chapter 7 – Avoiding tail docking and tail biting
- Chapter 8 – Good stockmanship
- Summary - What good welfare depends on
Share this page
Browse resources by level:
Or by type:
Our education resources
Compassion in World Farming produces educational resources for teachers and students which are either freely available or competitively priced. These include videos, teaching activities and packs, information booklets, web-based software and more. Most can be downloaded or ordered without charge.
We also provide a free speaker service for schools, youth clubs, colleges, universities and adult groups in the UK.
Find out more about what we offer.
To view PDFs you will need the free PDF reader, available here from Adobe.
To download and save the files without opening them in your web browser, right click (or CTRL+Click on a Mac) the link and choose either "Save Target As..." or "Save Link as..."
You can also order the materials you need here,