Help with making or updating your Will
Making a Will is the best way of ensuring your loved ones have a secure future. It also ensures that your property and possessions are dealt with in the way you want.
Leaving a gift to Compassion in World Farming in your Will not only helps protect farm animals but can also reduce your inheritance tax liability, because any gifts to charities are deducted from the value of your estate prior to taxation.
If you are ready to make your first Will or need your Will updating, you may be interested in the following:
- Our free Will writing service
- Information to include when leaving a gift in your Will to Compassion
- Updating an existing Will
- How we can help
As a member of The National Free Wills Network, Compassion can offer its supporters a simple Will drafted free of charge by a local, qualified solicitor. Order a free pack for more information and a list of participating solicitors in your area.
There are two main ways to leave a gift in your Will to Compassion in World Farming:
- A residual gift is all, or a percentage of, your estate once all other bequests, costs, etc. have been deducted. For example, a bequest of 10% of an estate valued at £200,000 would provide a gift of £20,000. A residual gift is the most valuable to us, keeping pace with inflation, and ensuring we can fight even harder for farm animals. This type of gift can also help reduce the need for frequent updating of your Will.
- A pecuniary gift is a specific amount of money. The value of pecuniary legacies decreases over time; for example a generous gift of £2,000 pledged today will be less valuable in future years as the cost of living increases.
Should you wish to include Compassion in World Farming in your Will you will need to use certain legal wording:
For a residual gift:
I give the residue (or a portion of the residue) of my estate to Compassion in World Farming (registered charity no. 1095050 (England and Wales)) of River Court, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EZ, UK for its charitable purposes.
For a pecuniary gift:
I give the sum of £_________ to Compassion in World Farming (registered charity no. 1095050 (England and Wales)) of River Court, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EZ, UK, for its charitable purposes.
If you already have a Will, the simplest way to make relatively minor alterations or additions is by making a codicil. This is an instruction that is kept with your existing Will and which your solicitor can help draw up.
Compassion in World Farming is able to act as an Executor of Wills. For more information please telephone our legacy team on 01483 521 953 or email us.
The legacy team is always happy to give advice and support. You can email anytime or telephone 01483 521 953 Monday to Friday 9:00 – 5:00. Alternatively, please write to:
Compassion in World Farming
Share this page
Joanna Lumley and your legacy
How we can help
Email us here or telephone +44 (0) 1483 521 953 (Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm).