FREE RESOURCES FOR RELIGIOUS STUDIES TEACHERS
Most of the major faiths teach kindness to animals, but for some religions it is a major part of their belief system. This is a subject which can engage children, encourage discussion and develop respect for the beliefs of others.Download: Educational Films And Resources | Size (0.12MB)
Our films and discussion activities are designed to stimulate thought and debate. There is a school of educational thought which believes that people learn more by talking than by listening! Unfortunately, not everyone can be persuaded to join in a class discussion.
However, there is a solution. Students who don’t like to say too much in front of a whole class will often happily discuss religious and philosophical issues in small groups.
To facilitate good discussion, whether for the whole class or for small groups, please download our provide films and other resources at the links below. You can also order a free DVDROM plus printed materials. Please specify RE or the subject you want this for.
- How Do Animals Matter? Opinions religious and secular – card activity to encourage discussion of a range of theological and secular opinions from our original Farm Animals’ & Us Teachers’ Pack
- How Do Animals Matter? A range of philosophical viewpoints – another card exercise with a range of opinions designed to encourage open ended discussion, also from our original Teachers’ Pack
- Personality Test – pupils love quizzes! They can use this to analyse their philosophical approach to the use of animals for food. Should we put people first, safeguard the environment, prioritise animal welfare or respect the rights of animals?
- How Should We Treat Farm Animals? – small group discussion activity which encourages students to consider the pros and cons of different systems for producing meat, milk and eggs including organic, free-range and intensive.
- Farm Animals & Us – 17 minute film for students aged 10 & over covering intensive and alternative farming methods and their effect on the welfare of farm animals
- Farm Animals & Us 2 – 25 minute film for students aged 14 to adult which covers the same subject in more detail.
- Religion and Factory Farming – the viewpoints of the main world religions on the subject of diets, sacrifice and our relationship with animals
You can also enrich your lessons by inviting a speaker to talk to your students. This service is available to schools and colleges in England and Wales, subject to availability. It is normally free. Some speakers appreciate travelling expenses if they have a way to come, but only if you have the budget for it.
Ordering free resources
Printed copies or DVDs can be can be ordered here. You are also very welcome to order, request download links, invite a speaker or ask us any question about our resources directly by emailing us at email@example.com. Please mention which subject you want the resources for or specify which resources you would like.
Finally, you don’t need to wait for us to send you our films and worksheets. You can download our films and teachers’ resources for free now!
Share this page
Browse resources by level:
Or by subject:
To view PDFs you will need the free PDF reader, available here from Adobe.
To download and save the files without opening them in your web browser, right click (or CTRL+Click on a Mac) the link and choose either "Save Target As..." or "Save Link as..."
You can also order the materials you need here.