End long distance LIVE animal transport
Each year, millions of live farm animals around the world are transported thousands of miles for slaughter, or to places where they will be fattened for slaughter.
This trade is a worldwide phenomenon. In North and South America, Australia and Europe, animals often have to endure journeys across vast distances before long voyages at sea to reach their final destination.
Long distance transport causes enormous suffering
- Overcrowding – Animals are crammed into vehicles. Many are injured or trampled to death
- Exhaustion and dehydration – They can be in transit for days, suffering extremes of temperature and often without sufficient food, water or rest. Many die as a result
- Pain and stress – Animals are sentient beings and feel pain and stress just like we do
- Animals’ immune systems are often reduced as a result of the hardship of long distance transport, resulting in diseases being caught more easily.
- Animals will often be shipped alive, only to be slaughtered at journey’s using inhumane methods.
What we are doing
Compassion in World Farming are calling for the end of all long distance live transport. We want animals to be fattened and slaughtered as close as possible to their place of birth and live transport of animal for slaughter to be replaced by a trade in meat.
Taking on the global live animal transport trade is a huge task. Compassion is fighting this battle on a number of fronts:
- Ending live exports from the UK
- Reducing the maximum journey time across the EU
- Ending exports from the EU to non-EU countries
- Ensuring international legislation and guidelines on the welfare of animals in transport and slaughter are enforced.
What can I do?
Find out how you can help us campaign to end the long distance transport of live animals now.
Live exports from the UK must stop
Live exports from the UK are cruel and unnecessary but UK sheep and calves face a renewed threat of export despite public opposition.Read more »
Live exports from the EU
Millions of animals are transported every year from the EU to Asia and Africa with journeys often lasting hundreds of hours.Read more »
Global live animal transport trade
Millions of live farm animals are transported thousands of miles around the world in often appalling conditions.Read more »
Share this page
Help us end animal cruelty