RESOURCES ON PIGS
Here we have a great selection of films for students of all ages and a Power Point for primary pupils about the welfare of pigs and the ways in which we farm them.
Our Power Point presentation is easy to use and looks at different pig behaviours and ways of farming pigs. It opens up discussion around these topics and the benefits of higher welfare farming. It is aimed at children aged 7-11 (KS2) but can be adapted for younger ones. The Power Point is designed to be interactive. Questions to ask the children come up throughout – stop to discuss these before you get the answers! You will probably think of some more things to discuss.DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION
The short films below are for children of any age!
These small film clips are fun and will show you how happy pigs can be! Here are some questions to consider while watching each film, to encourage observation and begin discussion:
- What do pigs like to do? Make a list of their behaviours!
- Do you think these pigs are happy? What makes you think this?
- Are you surprised by anything you see?
- Do you think it is important for pigs to be able to display these behaviours?
- Would these behaviours be possible in an intensive farm?
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of free-range farming.
Mother’s Day. 1 min 18 sec
It's not Mother's Day today but in times of the current lockdown perhaps every day should be! Watch this free-range sow preparing for the birth of her piglets. See her create a nest, give birth and suckle her young.
Short Film: Positive Behaviours
Positive Behaviours – Pigs – Clip 1 56 sec
Watch these free-range pigs enjoying life on the farm. See how they play, suckle and explore the outdoor world.
Short Film: Positive Behaviours Part 2
Positive Behaviours – Pigs – Clip 2 1 min 16 sec
See how much fun these piglets have exploring the woodland. They forage for food, run and play with joy.
Short films: particular pig behaviours:
For these, ask the children what the pigs are doing and why. The children may like to adapt the films and pictures in the PowerPoint to make their own presentation.
Older students – secondary and college
Good Agricultural Practice
These resources consider the needs of pigs and how to achieve humane and sustainable pig farming.
Suitable for age 16 to adult.
Film: Farm Animals and Us
Farm Animals and Us 18 mins
- The video is suitable for older primary (10-11) up to adult.
- Looks at intensive and alternative farming of pigs, chickens and dairy cows.
- Warning – film contains scenes of intensive farming animal confinement and separation of young animals from their mothers which some will find distressing
Film: Farm Animals and Us 2
Farm animals and us 2 26 mins
- Suitable for aged 14 up to adult.
- Considers intensive and alternative farming systems.
- Warning – film contains scenes of intensive farming including animal confinement, separation of young animals from their mothers and one short clip of piglet tail-docking.