Companies recognised at 2022 Good Farm Animal Welfare Awards
Some of Britain's best-known companies were recognised at a ceremony in London today (15th June) for their innovative work in the field of farm animal welfare and sustainable food production.
Three of the UK’s marketing-leading companies in food and retail received Compassion in World Farming’s Good Farm Animal Welfare Awards (GFAWAs) for showing their commitment to making genuine and meaningful improvements to the lives of farmed animals, and the sustainability of their supply chains.
This year’s UK winners were:
- Waitrose (Retailer, UK), winner of the Best Retailer Award and Best Retailer Innovation Award
- Compass Group (Food Service, UK & Ireland), winner of the Planet Friendly Award Gold
- Domino’s EU (Food Service, UK & Ireland), winner of the Cage Free Award
The Best Retailer Innovation Award went to Waitrose for developing and implementing the first Qualitative Behavioural Assessment App to measure the emotional wellbeing of animals in the drive to continually improve their quality of life. Their constant aspiration to be the best and to do what is right for animals and for their customers makes them true leaders in farm animal welfare and this year they also achieved overall Best Retailer Award for the fourth consecutive year.
Compass Group (UK & Ireland) were awarded the first full Planet Friendly Award, achieving a GOLD level for a 2025 commitment to reduce its animal sourced proteins by 25%, with a further pledge that 70% of their top five food categories will be sourced from regenerative agriculture by 2030. They are truly leading the way, tackling head on the issues of farm animal welfare, protein diversification/meat reduction and a shift towards regenerative agriculture.
Domino’s received this year’s prestigious Cage Free Award in recognition of the work they are doing to end the use of all cages across all species in their European supply chain.
The Good Farm Animal Welfare Awards programme is led by Compassion’s Food Business team who work directly with major food companies to inspire and influence them to put animal welfare and sustainable food production at the heart of their businesses.
Given the urgency of the climate, nature, and health crisis, the programme is evolving to encapsulate a more holistic approach to a future fit food system, encouraging transformational change for farm animals, a reduction in our reliance on animal sourced foods, and a move towards more regenerative, nature friendly farming. Many of the award winners at this year’s event reflect that shift in approach.
Dr Tracey Jones, Global Director of Food Business said: “This year’s Awards have been truly inspirational with companies showing genuine leadership and motivation at a time when the global food industry has been confronted with serious issues following the pandemic, and now the war in Ukraine. The continued progress for animal welfare is heartening, whilst the ongoing work in the future food space is encouraging and signals that the food industry is ready to tackle one of the biggest challenges of our time – how to build a humane, sustainable, and resilient food system for all.
For further information or to arrange an interview contact Compassion in World Farming’s Media Team: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01483 521 615.
To request a pdf version of this press release, please email email@example.com
Social media assets/ images can be downloaded here.
Notes to Editors:
- The full list of winners below:
BEST RETAILER AWARD:
- Waitrose (Retailer, UK)
BEST RETAILER INNOVATION AWARD
- Waitrose (Retailer, UK)
BEST RETAILER MARKETING AWARD & GOOD EGG COMMENDATION
- Carrefour Brazil (Retailer, Brazil)
SPECIAL RECOGNITION AWARDS:
SUSTAINABLE FOOD AND FARMING AWARDS:
- Hilltribe Organics (Manufacturer/Producer, Thailand)
- Laiteries H. Triballat (Manufacturer/Producer, France)
PLANET FRIENDLY AWARD GOLD
- Compass Group (Food Service, UK & Ireland)
RABBIT INNOVATION AWARD
CAGE FREE AWARD
- Domino’s EU (Food Service, UK & Ireland)
GOOD CHICKEN AWARDS
GOOD TURKEY AWARDS
- Bledina (Manufacturer, France)
GOOD EGG AWARDS
- La marca del consumatore (Manufacturer, Italy)
- Huevos Guillén (Manufacturer/Producer, Spain)
- Shunrakuzen (Retailer, Japan)
- Zoo Coffee (Food Service, China)
- PianGuan Yong AO (Producer, China)
Good Pig Production Award winners:
- 5 Star Award - Thunder Pig Chessboard Village Base (Jilin Xinghui Chessboard Ecological Agriculture Technology Co. LTD）-
- 5 Star Award - Heilongjiang Dong Nong Animal Husbandry Co., Ltd.
- 5 Star Award - Jiangsu YiAi Agricultural Development Co.Ltd
- 3 Star Award - Cui Lin Base, Kecun Town, Yixian County, Huangshan(Huangshan GuoDa Eco-Agriculture Technology Ltd.) –
- 2 Star Award - Yongshou Project of Xianyang CP Food Co., Ltd., CP Group –
- 2 Star Award - SiFangHong (Pinggu) Welfare Farm of Breeding Pigs
- 1 Star Award - Guangzhou Nordic Farm Agricultural Development Co., Ltd.